Written by Paige.
We are living in times where the pinch of the purse strings are being well and truly felt. Times are hard and we are consistently reminded of how much harder they are going to get. For some of us, these money saving tricks may already be an everyday habit that you love doing. For others, who may be completely new to money saving hacks and some of these ideas might make you cringe. But if you’re serious about saving every penny, then here are some saving savvy tips and tricks.
- Only buy the big branded hand wash once!
We all love a fancy hand wash but don’t want to keep paying the fancy prices. Instead buy the hand wash you want once and then after that refill the fancy bottle with the cheapest alternative you can find. Your guests will never notice!
- Regift the gifts you’re given
If you struggle to buy gifts for every single event of the year, then regift your gifts. But make sure you don’t re-gift the gift to the same person that gave it to you, that would be extremely embarrassing!
- Got kids that are obsessed with ketchup or mayonnaise?
Some of us can go through a bottle a week! Instead, when you’re visiting fast food places like McDonald’s or KFC, ask for a couple extra sachets of sauces, then use them at home. It will also help with portion control!
- Add baking soda to your fabric softener- it’ll last longer!
Baking soda works great as a fabric softener because it helps regulate the PHlevels within the washing machine.
- Don’t waste wax!
When your candle comes to an end, fill the candle holder with boiling water then take the remaining wax for wax melts.
- Become a night owl and only do your food shopping at night. Most supermarkets put their reduced items out at night.
- Unplug everything – While it doesn’t waste as much money as leaving on every light in the house, keeping your appliances plugged in can add up.
- Wash clothes in the shower.
This might make you feel ancient at first but if you’re desperate to save every penny then it’ll become a habit that you’ll use the washing machine less.
- Put your spending on ice – you don’t need your bank to freeze your spending!
Just pop your card into a bowl of water in the freezer. You’ll need to wait for the ice to melt to be able to use it, by then it’s likely you won’t even want to spend anything.
- Use the net that your lemons and limes come in as body scrubbers or surface cleaners.
- Take extra napkins from the petrol station and keep them in the car for “emergencies”.
What extremes do you go to save your pennies? If you haven’t already then try these tips out and save a few extra pounds each month. Every penny counts!