This couscous dish has lots of flavours with different herbs and tomatoes. It’s very wholesome and can be eaten as a main dish. It has been great to support the #nhsbetterhealth campaign on Muslim Mamas foodies group, by running a live cookalong.
My layered couscous with chicken salsa recipe is a healthier alternative to having the usual rice and curry. The chicken salsa is cooked with tomatoes, peppers and red onions. The couscous is cooked separately with lots of fresh herbs, lime and lemon juice. Both layered in a clay pot and served with healthy crunchy salad.
For more delicious, easy and healthy recipes download the NHS Easy Meals App at:
INGREDIENTS FOR COUSCOUS
2 cups plain couscous
1 tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic
Juice of half of a lime
Juice of half of lemon
Handful of fresh herbs such as parsley, coriander and mint, chopped finely
1 tbsp olive oil (It is best to use unsaturated oils such as olive oil, sunflower oil or rapeseed oil as healthier alternatives)
2 cups warm water
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN SALSA
300g boneless chicken fillet, cut in strips
1 red onion chopped
1 tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic chopped
½ red pepper sliced
1 red chilli pepper sliced
5-6 cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ coriander powder
2 tsp paprika
3 tbsp tinned tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
2 red chillies or ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
METHOD FOR COUSCOUS
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the garlic until golden brown.
- Add the couscous and salt and fry for 5 minutes on medium heat until couscous becomes golden brown.
- Pour in 2 cups of warm water and stir. Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer on slow heat until the water evaporates.
- Add the herbs, lime and lemon juice, mix well, cover and cook in low heat.
- Once the water evaporates, stir the couscous to ensure that it is completely cooked. Add a little more water if needed. Once cooked, remove from heat and reserve for later.
METHOD FOR CHICKEN SALSA
- Heat oil in a skillet and sauté the onions and garlic until golden brown.
- Add the spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and the peppers and stir fry until the chicken is sealed properly.
- Then pour in the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and mix well. Cover and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
Layer the couscous and chicken salsa by initially placing the chicken salsa at the base of your serving dish, finishing with the couscous on top. Finally garnish with more fresh herbs and serve nice and warm.
To see the full cook along with Nasima click the video below:
What are your go to substitutes to keep your meal times healthy? Let us know in the comments!